Saturday, March 13, 2010

Corona CT8F V2 DSSS for futaba



My first experience with corona 2.4Ghz system. I bought this set second hand from my good fellow kelfo from mrc together with Futaba 9chp..really good deal. I believed this is the model spec. This system uses DSSS technology.

Spec.
Size: 37mm*59mm*22mm
Voltage : 4.8 V - 6V
Range : more than 1500m
Operating current : 30 MA
Sensitivity : 100dbm
Latency : 22ms

Included.
Futaba 2.4Ghz Module
Antenna
2.4Ghz Receiver

1. Fit nicely on the back of FF9 module slot. No wobble or moving part. Feel secure. Antenna design look like Assan module. The case design was not so presentable. Not as nice as Assan design.



2. The receiver is 8 Channel 2.4Ghz DSSS Receiver. The price is not bad aground usd22.
Spec.
Size : 46mm*25mm*16mm
Voltage : 4.8 V - 6V
range : more than 2100m
Operating current : 30 MA
Sensitivity : -100dbm
Latency : 22ms



I put this rx on 450v2 and fit nicely under the heli compartment. More than enough channel (8ch!!).



Binding takes bring me a little puzzle. Takes me a while to understand the binding procedure. Where you need press button under the rx belly and power on the rx. Then press the button behind the tx module then power up the tx. Then Wait for the binding confirmation. Then it's done.

3. First flight. Before that on the "switching on" procedure you have to switch on your tx first and leave it for around 10 seconds then power up your rx. The boot-up latency is quite high compared to Assan where you don't have to wait for that long. If you switch on your rx before the module initialize then your esc will stuck indefinitely and you need to cycle it back. Before this I though I have to switch on my esc first then my tx since it really worked that way. But then I've realized that I power up my esc quite fast before the tx done it's initialization.

During the flight test this morning I did noticed the servo jitter a bit but for a split second (or maybe my imagination). 2-3 times before take off. But after than everything was OK.

Good point
1. Cheap as dirt
2. Range??? the rx labeled as full range...never tested this claimed.
3. hmmm

Bad point
1. Unattractive module and rx case design
2. Binding a bit weird and confusing
3. Servo Jitter???
4. Boot up latency quite high
5. Powering up is quite strange since it need to switch on the esc first then the radio. Strange right?

Conclusion
Although the kit price is very cheap but I would prefer Assan system over corona. But this just my own view. Also the rx price range is almost the same.

No comments: